Year of Poetry Update - Week 43

My current musical crush -
Eivør's album Slør.
A good week as these things go.

A poetry order arrived in the form of two of Miriam Gamble's poetry collections - The Squirrels Are Dead and Pirate Music from Bloodaxe Books. A purchase whose blame I lay firmly at the feet of the Scottish Poetry Library Podcast.

As Facebook and Twitter followers will know I did get an acceptance this week and I was understandably chuffed, but I don't know if I get as chuffed as I used to - picture me doing the Leyton Hewitt COME ON!.

I have noted that one of the benefits of this year long process is that the rejections don't seem to bite so hard but I also think that the joy of acceptances don't feel as pronounced. Which isn't to say that I don't care about publication, more that there's less running about like I scored a goal for Australia when it does happen.

Part of this is experience and part is psychology no doubt (we do tend to down play positive experiences) but I also think I am getting a lot of enjoyment out of the process of writing.  I am also working full time which leaves little time for basking in glory.

In any event, I will let you know when it's published

The Writing...

Managed nearly two and a half hours poetry writing by devoting Sunday morning to it. Spent about 20 minutes faffing about with an idea until some strong inspiration hit and I went with that instead. Consequently a poem was born and is now sitting in 1st draft stage.

The Study...

Read and noted the the chapter on the positioning of the poem's speaker and began the chapter on rhyme and repetition in Frances Mayes', The Discovery of Poetry - A field Guide to Reading and Writing Poems.

Close Reading...

Read The unpleasant poet elf from PS Cottier's pamphlet Quick Bright Things. I like Cottier's work and reading this collection inspired me to inject a little bit of humour into my work.  The result being a poetry acceptance.

So thanks P.



For the Statbadgers:


Total time: 4:48 (415:43) hrs


poem writing = 02.24 (191:40) hrs

close reading =1:00(82:09) hrs

technique/theory 0:54(96:54) hrs

reflection = 0:305(35:07) hrs



Poetry written:

1(38) poems completed


1 (17)poems in draft


Poems Submitted:


0(23 in total) poems



Poems Published:


1(8) poem



Live Performances:
0(2)


Interviews:
0(1)


Rejections:


0(10) poems

Comments

Most Popular Posts