Year of Poetry Update - Week 41

Collections by
Naomi Shihab Nye
and
Elizabeth Bradfield 
I had hoped to get a few more hours under my belt this week, but that was probably unrealistic, what with prep for the start of term and the discovery of Seasons 1 & 2 of Bosch.

That being said I did manage to find seven and a half hours to put pen to paper.

My poetry package arrived from Booktopia along with my Tea order from Tea Leaves and I have had fun nipping into both purchases as my Facebook and Twitter feeds will testify.



The Writing
I put the Jane Eyre poem on hold this week as I had another instance where a starting line came out of nowhere and demanded to be worked on, I did take the risk of not penning it at the time it occurred; right as a lay on the verge of sleep (see us poets live on the edge), but I was confident that it would stick around till morning.   

It worked itself into a good little poem and it along with a poem I have been sitting on for a while, were submitted some time on Friday.  

And like homing pigeons they returned; rejected.  Can't say that I was too unhappy - a combination of a steadily growing confidence that my writing is good and a shift in focus from what really is giving my pleasure in terms of poetic practice. 

Mind you I could be still riding the high of my Camembert and Russian Caravan Tea session.


The Study


Completed reading and started noting, the Chapter on Image in Frances Mayes', The Discovery of Poetry - A field Guide to Reading and Writing Poems.  Probably worth it for this chapter alone. 


Close Reading

I completed Leaving by JV Birch.  



For the Statbadgers:


Total time: 7:04 (407:56) hrs


poem writing = 2.30 (189:16) hrs

close reading =0:34(81:09) hrs

technique/theory 2:00(93:50) hrs

reflection = 0:30(34:02) hrs



Poetry written:

2(37) poems completed


(0)16 poems in draft


1 poem abandoned


1 poem facing execution at dawn


Poems Submitted:


2(23 in total) poems



Poems Published:


0(7) poem



Live Performances:
0(2)


Interviews:
0(1)


Rejections:


2(10) poems

Comments

Most Popular Posts