Year of Poetry Update - Month 9

Jesus! It's the 3/4 mark. 

My copy of Stuart Barnes' Glasshouses arrived, not that I had much time to read any of it - much non poetry related study was done this week in preparation for a training and development day. 

As I mentioned earlier in the week Booktopia had a free shipping deal that's running till midnight next Monday.

After last week's ball of poetry love, this week felt, understandably, a bit dull.  I did manage to get some extra writing done as a consequence of a shortened school week. About two hours extra in fact.


The Writing


I finished of the poem inspired by my wife's anxiety of filling census forms from last week.  It's been left on the shelf to age. I also managed to write another poem inspired, in tone at least, from having watched Howl and read the first section of Ferlinghetti's A Coney Island of the Mind.  It was one of those poems that flows out in a white hot rage, so it's potentially shit and I decided to send it out straight away, which I almost never do.  Time will tell.

I also submitted three poems which means there's sure to be a slight landslide of rejections in the near future.  It did feel good though to have some more poems out circulating.

The Study

I completed reading the chapter My Emily Dickinson in  Mary Ruefle's, Madness Rack and Honey. A curious chapter that somehow manages to weave the lives of Emily Dickinson, Emily Bronte and Anne Frank together and make it relevant to writing poetry.

Creating Poetry by Ron Pretty arrived from the Library on Tuesday and leafing through it I have spotted some interesting chapters worthy of a closer inspection.


Close Reading


I didn't mange to get around to any close reading.



For the Statbadgers:


Total time: 5:55 (381:38) hrs


poem writing = 4.30 (173:46) hrs

close reading =0:00(77:02) hrs

technique/theory 0:55(86:43) hrs

reflection = 0:30 (29:58) hrs



Poetry written:

2(35) poems completed


(0)16poems in draft


1 poem abandoned


1 poem facing execution at dawn



Poems Submitted:


3(19 in total) poems



Poems Published:


0(7) poem



Live Performances:
0(2)


Interviews:
0(1)


Rejections:


0(8) poems

Comments

Most Popular Posts