New Poetry Arrivals - The Triggering Town by Richard Hugo

Available from Booktopia
I came across Richard Hugo's writing in an essay on the Poetry Foundation website that shares the title of this collection of lectures and essays.

I read it earlier in the Year of Poetry process and while I enjoyed it at the time (it's chapter two of this book)I believe I have benefitted immeasurably from it being placed in the context of a number of essays or lectures that were intended, I think to be viewed or listened to in close proximity to each other.

It's only a slight volume; appearing not much bigger than the standard one author poetry collection.  That being said Hugo somehow manages to combine wit, comedy and a deep engagement with the subject without becoming dense or unweildy.

It's caused me to consider elements of my writing in a new way.  A good resource for the poet who has had some publication success or none or indeed anyone who values discussion on poetry.  Still relevant some 30 odd years after Hugo's death.

Comments

Most Popular Posts