The Use of Sound in Poetry

I present to you today another video from Jackson Bates, this time on Alliteration, Assonance and Consonance.  Now if you are a writer/poet or perhaps an English teacher then I still recommend the video. 

Most people in those categories should know what those terms mean but I think this video does a very good job or going past surface definitions and exploring the effect that different sounds have on the meaning and shape of words.

Now I think when I use these techniques myself its often something that I do naturally or intuitively.  I tend to avoid alliteration because I think it can become too obvious, but assonance I know features in my long form poetry.

I think drawing our attention to the sound of poetry is just as important for readers.  In plans for a project next year I had already made a decision to start reading poetry aloud to myself.

I think there’s an important aspect of the poem imparted in good poetry when it’s read. It’s too easy to miss the aural qualities when just interpreting from the page.

Comments

Most Popular Posts